140 characters. That’s not much. You have to keep your message short and sweet. People, in general, these days do not have the time or the inclination to read tons of long diatribes online. Their attention is already being pulled in a thousand different directions. It’s a miracle you’re reading this post now.
So in the spirit of keep things to the point, here’s a list of reasons I love Twitter.
- Connecting with friends- With people I already know, this is an easy way to share a thought they could be interested in or comment on something they post.
- One degree of separation- Yep. I’ve had twitter exchanges with authors and celebrities way outside my friend circle. It’s a squee worthy moment when someone you admire from afar comments on something you’ve said.
- Extending my reach- Mixed in with conversations is the opportunity to market. Yes, I use twitter to market. It’s not all I do, but if I have a book releasing, you can be sure to see those notifications on my feed as well.
- Linking up- There are days on Twitter like #MondayBlogs, #WWWBlogs, #WriterWednesday, where you can find content linked to headlines that you want to read.
- Hashtags- This is where those hashtags actually work. Type in #amwriting and see every post that includes that. Type in #Romance and find every post including that hashtag. Type in #JaneTheVirgin and you may find yourself exchanging quips with the awesome Rogelio De La Vega.
As a writer, in my opinion, the key is to make the primary use of Twitter a way to engage and interact. Marketing secondary. You may say, “Well this week there were an awful lot of links to your books on Twitter.” Yes. This week I released a new book. I would be remiss to not get that news out there. But normally, I’m there to chat, share a laugh, link up to writing tips, and hopefully entertain.
You can find me, my social links, and all my books on my website at http://www.jennifersenhajiauthor.com/
Signup to join my Dream Team and receive sneak peeks,
and access to my sweet and spicy tips.